It wasn't shocking to wake up this morning and read another Trump Twitter rant about the media. Complaining about the "unfair" coverage of his presidency is just something Trump does now, as much a part of his routine as trolling our allies and damaging his own legal challenges. For most of us, his ramblings about "dirty" and "hateful" fake news have become background noise, like that annoying rumbling in your office's heating vents that you have dealt with for so long that you don't even notice it anymore.
But our embattled president went a step further on Twitter this morning.
First off, can we talk about how sad (or SAD!) this is? This is the President of the United States, begging for an apology from the meanies in the press who dare to do their jobs and report on what the president is saying and doing! Can you imagine Reagan saying something like this? Hell, even W had more pride.
But Donald wants an apology? OK, Mr. President. But, in the mold of truly great leaders, why don't you lead by example? Because I can think of a few things you have done that might require just the slightest mea culpa. Maybe start with apologizing to:
- President Obama, for the racist lies regarding his citizenship
- John McCain, for saying he isn't a war hero because he was captured
- American voters, for your debunked claim that you won the 2016 popular vote
- The Khan family, for your bigoted and misogynist attacks
- Muslims in New Jersey, for claiming they celebrated the 9/11 attacks
- Serge Kovaleski, the reporter with a disability that you mocked at a rally
- Australian Prime Minister Turnbull, for insulting him and threatening to back out of a refugee agreement
- Angela Merkel, for refusing to shake her hand
- Japanese Prime Minister Abe, for shaking his hand for an obscenely long time
- Montenegro's Prime Minister Markovic, for shoving him out of the way at a NATO meeting
- London's Mayor Khan, for blatantly misinterpreting his remarks after the London attacks and then continuing to lie about it.
- Ted Cruz, for saying his father was involved in the JFK assassination
- The Central Park Five, for buying adds calling for their execution and refusing to back down on that demand even after they were exonerated
- Obama again, for falsely claiming that the former president wiretapped you during the election
- Whoever actually invented the phrase "priming the pump" over a century before you claimed that you did.
- George H.W. Bush, for your untrue claim that you had won more electoral college votes than him
- Obama one more time, for saying all he did was fund raise and play golf and then golfing 28 times in your first five months in office (Obama played 92 times in his first four years)
- Megyn Kelly, for calling her a "bimbo" and implying she was rough on you because she was menstruating
- Hillary Clinton, for saying she wouldn't be a good president because she "couldn't satisfy her husband"
- Arianna Huffington, for calling her "unattractive both inside and out"
- Elizabeth Beck, the lawyer you called "disgusting" because she asked for a break to breastfeed her child
- The women in your pageant locker rooms that you walked in on just because you could
- The women you dared to touch without consent because "when you're a star, they let you do anything"
- Honestly, how about all women in general, for setting the example that "grab them by the pussy" is acceptable behavior in any context
Alright, Mr. President, time to man up and be a leader. Go ahead and get started on those apologies, and then come talk to us about all the mean stuff the media is saying about you. We'll be waiting.